South Gate Criminal Defense Attorneys
Getting accused, arrested, or charged with a criminal offense here in South Gate can be quite tough, and if you find yourself in such a situation, you’re going to need the assistance, guidance, and support of a trusted criminal defense attorney who specializes in California criminal law.
Winfield Law is an experienced, aggressive, and motivated South Gate criminal defense law firm that represents clients facing the most difficult legal situations. Not a lot of law offices here in South Gate, CA are up for that kind of challenge, but our criminal defense attorneys here at Winfield Law are.
We have the drive, commitment, and perspective that can help get the best possible outcome for your case. Whether you’re charged with DUI, a violent crime, a felony, or a drug crime, Winfield Law is here to defend your right to the presumption of innocence.
Call Winfield Law at 310-742-8949 for a Free Consultation!
Skilled Criminal Defense Lawyers
Here at Winfield Law, we make sure you get the best legal support possible. We truly believe that every client deserves the very best shot for their case, regardless of guilt or innocence. We understand that getting arrested is frightening and it carries the risk of losing your freedom, your relationships, your peace of mind, your reputation, your career opportunities, your travel opportunities, along with other key benefits that you enjoy right now. Our goal will always be to get back the life you had before your arrest, or as much of it as possible.
With meticulous study, professional insight, impressive legal resourcefulness, sharp negotiation skills, and fierce representation, Winfield Law is committed to giving your case all we’ve got. This also means that we will be honest and upfront with you about your legal situation, the potential outcomes of the case, as well as all the solid plans of defense that we have for you. We want you to not only be informed; we also want you to be prepared.
Among the types of cases that Winfield Law handles are:
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) is when you drive or operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or both. It also applies to situations when you have a blood-alcohol level of at least 0.08. Though most DUIs here in California are tackled as misdemeanors, certain DUI circumstances are charged as felonies.
- Drug Crime is a crime that involves the possession, manufacture, or distribution of drugs that are classified as having a potential for abuse. Depending on your past history and the severity of the offense, you may be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony when you are arrested for a drug crime. We focus mainly on felony trafficking cases.
- Violent Crime is when you use or at least threaten to use force upon a victim. Here in California, violent crime convictions here can carry hefty penalties that include fines, a tainted criminal record, incarceration, and even the death penalty.
- Property Crimes include theft, burglary, robbery, larceny, motor vehicle theft, and other types of unlawful taking that can carry hefty penalties based on the severity of the offense.
- Felony is when your crime carries the maximum sentence of over a year in jail or prison. Some of the gravest offenses can even carry the penalty of a death sentence.
If you’re looking for highly competent and highly compassionate criminal defense attorneys to fight the battle with you and be by your side throughout the entire process, Winfield Law is here for you!
What To Do When Arrested in South Gate
California is a capital punishment state, which pretty much explains why getting arrested for a crime can be a confusing, terrifying, and paralyzing experience for just about anyone. This is especially true if you didn’t do anything wrong in the first place. The circumstance can be so overwhelming that a lot of people actually forget that they are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
If you get arrested in South Gate, it’s important that you know things that you should or shouldn’t do as it may affect the outcome of your case.
- Stay calm and be polite. When you feel that your safety, freedom, and future are being threatened, you may have the urge to just lash out at arresting police officers. Don’t give in to it. Being disrespectful and aggressive toward authorities will only make your situation worse. Stay calm and be polite.
- Invoke your right to remain silent. If there’s one thing police officers are really good at, it’s getting you to talk. This isn’t a bad thing, but if you’re not careful, you could give them incriminating statements or inaccurate accounts. Whatever you say can be used against you in court, so the best thing to do would be to respectfully refuse to answer their questions until you’ve spoken with your criminal defense attorney.
- Meet with your attorney. When you are brought to the police station, you can actually make one phone call before you get placed in a jail cell. Use this call to contact your criminal defense attorney and explain your situation to them. Make sure you clearly understand their advice and answers. If you don’t have a criminal defense attorney, use your phone call to contact your family or friends who can find one for you.
If you get arrested in LA, knowing what to do and what not to do can greatly impact your ability to avoid unnecessarily harsh consequences. However, these just aren’t enough. You’ll need the excellent legal support, honest answers to your questions, wise advice, and fierce representation from a reputable South Gate criminal defense attorney. This is exactly what we can offer you here at Winfield Law.
California Criminal Defense Process
If you get arrested for a criminal offense in the state of California, you’re going to need to anticipate and prepare for what’s to come your way. Depending on your offense, the possible sentences you could be looking at include fines, probation, incarceration in a county jail, incarceration in state prison, and even death. But before you start worrying about that part, it’s very helpful to know how the process actually flows. It’s best to get a good understanding of the South Gate criminal process, and this is something that our defense attorneys here at Winfield Law can help you out with.
You can start with the following information about what goes on after the arrest or investigation:
- Arraignment is when the defendant is initially informed of the charges, provided with the charging document, advised of their constitutional rights, and given the opportunity to enter their plea (guilty, not guilty, or no contest). This is when the defendant first appears in court.
- Negotiation is when plea bargains and reduced charges are discussed within the courtroom.
- Preliminary Hearing takes place when the parties are not able to reach a negotiated agreement. It is when the judge decides whether or not the evidence to hold the defendant for trial is sufficient. Motions and arguments are then presented. The judge reviews the evidence presented by both parties, and if they find that the evidence is sufficient, the defendant is arraigned for trial.
- Pretrial Conference is when both parties are given the opportunity to continue negotiating a disposition and preparing for the trial. This time is also used to ensure that all relevant information and evidence are exchanged between the parties.
- Jury Trial is when the parties’ attorneys select the jury, litigate pretrial motions, present opening statements, present evidence, present and cross-examine witnesses, and then present closing statements. The jury then deliberates on the case, and gives a decision on whether the defendant is guilty and proceed to sentencing, or not guilty and be released.
Knowing the state criminal process can help your case a lot; however, nothing replaces the support and guidance of an experienced and accomplished South Gate criminal defense attorney. Here at Winfield Law, we are ready to go through the entire criminal process with you. From arrest/investigation to a jury trial, we are here to help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Whether you’re facing a charge on drug crime, DUI, violent crime, or other felony offenses, Winfield Law is ready and equipped to fight for your rights.
Let’s Talk Now- Free Consultation
Here at Winfield Law, we want to be your South Gate criminal defense attorneys because we know we have what it takes to help you get the best possible outcome for your case. Our team of sharp lawyers with excellent negotiation and representation skills are trained and equipped to be able to provide you with a solid defense plan.
Of course, before we can do that, we’ll need to sit down and talk to you first. We want to carefully learn the details of your case so that we can study, analyze, and work on it. Winfield Law is ready to help give you the justice that you deserve.
Call Winfield Law today at 310-742-8949 for your Free Consultation with a South Gate, CA Criminal Defense Lawyer!