Lakewood Felony Defense Attorneys
Being accused, arrested, or charged with a felony here in Lakewood may sound like the end of the world for many people. Perhaps this is because of the fact that they are defined in the California Penal Code as crimes that are “punishable with death or by imprisonment in the state prison.”
However, it’s important to know that in certain circumstances, some felonies can be reduced to a misdemeanor. This is where the knowledge, experience, and skill of a competent felony defense attorney comes in.
When you need the best, call Winfield Law!
Winfield Law is a trusted Lakewood, CA criminal defense law firm, and we are committed to defending clients who are facing legal challenges. We provide quality legal support, honest insight, and unyielding representation, even in the most difficult felony cases.
Felony charges are serious, and if you or your loved one is facing them, you’re going to need the guidance and assistance of serious, proactive felony defense attorneys. Here at Winfield Law, we make sure that you have an advisor, defender, and confidante in all aspects of your case. From researching, sourcing witnesses, negotiating, and litigating, we’ve got your back!
Call Winfield Law at 310-742-8949 for a Free Consultation!
Arrested in Lakewood? What To Do
Because California is a capital punishment state, getting arrested for a felony can be confusing, overwhelming, and exhausting for anyone. It’s stressful enough that some people forget the fact that they have a legal right to the presumption of innocence. They are presumed innocent until the prosecutor effectively proves that they are guilty.
If you get arrested in Lakewood, you need to remember that how you react to that situation can have a substantial impact the outcome of your case. Here are a few things you can keep in mind:
- Keep calm. It’s easy to get caught up in your emotions when your freedom, future, and finances are at stake, but disrespecting and assaulting police officers will only put you at a disadvantage. Try to be as calm and civil as you possibly can.
- Respectfully invoke your right to remain silent. Police officers are trained to get answers, and if you’re not careful, you might end up saying something incriminating or inaccurate. As the Miranda rights go, anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law, so you need to be careful. Politely refuse to answer any questions until you’ve met and spoken with your felony defense attorney.
- Speak to your lawyer ASAP. When you get to the police station, you will be given one phone call before you’re placed in a jail cell. Use your phone call to contact your felony defense attorney or to contact family/friends who can find you one. Explain your situation and take careful note of their advice.
While you can start protecting your rights early on in the process, you’re going to need an experienced and skilled Lakewood felony defense attorney to fight for you in the legal arena. If you don’t have one yet, our team here at Winfield Law is fully equipped and fully committed to giving you the support, guidance, and representation that you need.
Call Winfield Law at 310-742-8949 for expert legal advice and aggressive criminal defense.
California Criminal Defense Process
When you are arrested for a felony, it’s very important to anticipate and prepare for what’s to come. Depending on your offense, the possible sentences you could be looking at include probation, incarceration in county jail, incarceration in state prison, and death. But before you start worrying about that part, it’s more beneficial to actually know how the process flows. We’d suggest getting a better understanding of the Lakewood criminal process, something that our team of passionate felony defense attorneys here at Winfield Law can help you out with.
You can start with the following information about what goes on after the arrest or investigation:
- Arraignment is when the defendant is first informed of the charges, provided with the charging document, advised of their constitutional rights, and given the opportunity to enter their plea (guilty, not guilty, or no contest). This is when the defendant first appears in court.
- Negotiation is when plea bargains and reduced charges are discussed within the courtroom.
- Preliminary Hearing takes place when the parties are not able to reach a negotiated agreement. It is when the judge decides whether or not the evidence to hold the defendant for trial is sufficient. Motions and arguments are then presented. The judge reviews the evidence presented by both parties, and if they find that the evidence is sufficient, the defendant is arraigned for trial.
- Pretrial Conference is when both parties are given the opportunity to continue negotiating a disposition and preparing for the trial. This time is also used to ensure that all relevant information and evidence are exchanged between the parties.
- Jury Trial is when the parties’ attorneys select the jury, litigate pretrial motions, present opening statements, present evidence, present and cross-examine witnesses, and then present closing statements. The jury then deliberates on the case, and gives a decision on whether the defendant is guilty and proceed to sentencing, or not guilty and be released.
Having a good understanding of the California criminal process is very helpful, but it’s not going to get you too far unless you have the support and guidance of an experienced and accomplished Lakewood felony defense attorney. Here at Winfield Law, we are ready to help you throughout the entire criminal process. From arrest/investigation to a jury trial, we are here to help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Whether you’re facing a charge on drug crime, DUI, violent crime, or other felony offenses, Winfield Law is ready and equipped to fight for your rights.
DUI Defense & Drug Defense Lawyers
According to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, a total of 1,654,282 drug offense arrests were made in the year 2018 alone. If you are one of those facing DUI or drug crime charges here in California, you need the qualified help of a skilled and experienced defense attorney throughout the entire process.
Here at Winfield Law, we are committed to building a solid defense for every client. Whether it involves drunk driving, felony DUI, drug trafficking, drug distribution, or other felonies, our goal is to avoid any permanent blemish on our clients’ records, as well as to keep them as far from incarceration as possible.
If you’re looking for a DUI or drug crime defense attorney that you can trust with a DUI or drug crime case, our team of defense lawyers here at Winfield Law are up for the challenge.
You Need A Dedicated Investigator
According to the National Registry of Exonerations, the state of California has exonerated 201 people since 1989, after these people have spent an average of more than eight years in prison. Why were they exonerated? Because they were wrongfully convicted and weren’t supposed to be in prison in the first place.
Even in the field of law and justice, mistakes unfortunately still happen. Some innocent people get convicted for crimes they did not commit. During investigations, police are often focused and determined to prove the suspect’s guilt. However, because of staffing and budget limitations, they don’t always have the capacity to do the most thorough investigations. As a result, the innocent accused’s lives and the lives of the people who love them are then changed forever.
As a trusted legal defense law firm here in the Lakewood area, Winfield Law is passionate about meticulously studying every case that comes our way. We carefully examine evidence, testimonies, and other details because we believe you deserve the most solid defense possible. Our job is to fight for the best possible outcome for your case, and we take it very seriously.
Let’s Talk Now- Free Consultation
Winfield Law is a trusted Lakewood criminal defense law firm, and we are proud to be able to provide our clients with top-notch legal service, honest answers to questions, professional insight, and practical advice.
If you were arrested, accused, or charged with a felony here in the Lakewood area, we have the competent, compassionate, experienced, and skilled attorneys that can help you throughout the entire case.
Call Winfield Law today at 310-742-8949 for your Free Consultation with an Lakewood Criminal Defense Lawyer!